Shrove Tuesday (Pancake Day) is tomorrow, so I thought I would do a quick post on all the fantastic options available to make Free From Pancakes.
Weather you want your pancakes dairy free, sugar free, wheat free, gluten free and EVEN egg free (vegan) it can all be done.
First step is to pick your flour type
- Plain or brown flour (contains gluten)
- Buckwheat (Gluten Free) – my favorite for savoury pancakes
- Spelt (contains gluten)
- Rice Flour (Gluten Free)
- Chickpea (Gram) Flour (Gluten Free)
Next step to egg or not to egg
Believe it or not you don’t need eggs to make a pancake. If you are egg intolerance or don’t eat eggs then just exclude the eggs from the batter mix.
Next pick the liquid to make the batter
- Milk e.g cows, rice , oat or soy
- Water you can either use still or SPARKLING, which gives the batter a lighter feel, water
- For a sweeter and lighter pancake you can also use Appletiser
Some examples of pancake combos:
- Gluten Free Pancake – egg, buckwheat flour & milk of choice
- Egg and Gluten Free – flour combo of rice and buckwheat & milk of choice
- Gluten, Egg and Dairy Free Pancake – buckwheat & soy milk
- Vegan Pancake – buckwheat and sparkling water
I am dairy, wheat and no added sugar free so my favorite option for a sweet pancake is egg, rice and chickpea flour combo and rice milk and for a savory pancake is buckwheat and oat milk.
Making Free From Pancakes
4oz 110g grams of flour of choice
2 large eggs (if using)
10fl oz (275ml) of liquid
In a large bowl add your flour(s) of choice (sifted), if you are using the eggs create a well in the center of the flour and add in the eggs then whisk to combine. Now slowly add the liquid, if not using eggs you may need to add a little more liquid to get the right consistency of the batter. Continue whisking and adding the liquid until a thick batter is achieved.
Extras at this point: salt and pepper, and or herbs and spices for savory pancakes, cinnamon or mixed spice for sweet pancake mixture.
Leave the mixture to rest in the fridge until you are ready to make the pancakes – that’s it free from pancakes batter done.