For Christmas my friends bought me The Good Food Collection book which I have to say is amazing (thanks guys!), obviously being dairy (no cows milk) and yeast intolerant I have to take some recipes and substitute some of the ingredients. My parents are up at the moment and my dad has got a sore throat so I decided to make some healthy and hot Broccoli Soup with Goats Cheese, below is my slightly altered recipe on how to make this:
Broccoli Soup with Goats Cheese Ingredients:
- 50g/2oz Dairy Free Spread (I use Pure it seems to be being good for cooking)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 900g/2lb broccoli, chopped (seperate the florets and stalks)
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 litre/1 3/4 yeast free vegetable or chicken stock (I use boullion stocks)
- 600ml/1 pint of soya milk (you could also use rice milk)
- 100g/4oz medium soft goats cheese chopped
1. Melt the dairy free spread in a saucepan and add the onions, brocolli stalks and and nutmeg, fry for 5 minutes until soft.
2. Add the brocolli florets, stock and milk then cover and simmer gently under the brocolli stalks are soft.
3. Using hand blender or stand alone blender puree the soup.
4. Add seasoning to the soup to taste.
5. Ladle the soup into the required number of dishes, just before serving crumble some goats chees into each bowl and hey presto your Broccoli Soup with Goats Cheese is ready to serve.
If you wanted to make this soup for freezing don’t add the goats cheese until you reheat the soup and serve.
Just a note for anyone thinking if this recipe is dairy free why does it have goats cheese, goats cheese has a different fat makeup to cows cheese or milk, somepeople that are intolerant to cows dairy find they can have goats dairy products, it is usually lactose that people react to, this is not contained in goats milk.
Enjoy your Broccoli Soup with Goats Cheese!!!