These barbecue beans are a doddle to make and have gone down really well this weekend, when we actually managed to have two sunny barbecues (in England!). I call them barbecue beans not due to the flavour but because they are a fantastic barbecue side dish.
Barbecue beans ingredients:
- chickpeas 2 x 400g tins drained and rinsed
- chopped tomatoes 1 x 400g tin
- dates 225g roughly chopped
- courgette 1 large or 2 small chopped into cubes
- ginger 1 inch finely chopped
- garlic 2 cloves finely chopped
- smoked paprika 1 heaped tsp
Barbecue beans recipe
- In a large non-stick pan start by frying off the garlic and ginger in a little olive oil, adding the courgette after a couple of minutes.When the courgette is softened, throw in the tomatoes, chickpeas, dates and smoked paprika. Bring to the boil, add salt and pepper to taste, then cover and simmer for about 20-30 minutes.
These barbecue beans taste great hot or cold with a barbecue or as a jacket potato topping. They freeze well too (if…you have any left-over).